On September 7th 2015, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) celebrated director Sidney Lumet’s Dog Day Afternoon, the explosive drama starring Al Pacino, with a new 40th Anniversary edition Blu-ray available for the first time in the UK.
To celebrate this long overdue release, we've got copies of the masterpiece to give away right here!
This unique thriller, filled with sardonic comedy and based on a real-life incident, earned six Academy Award® nominations (including Best Picture) and won an Oscar® for Frank Pierson’s streetwise screenplay. John Cazale, Charles Durning (Golden Globe®-nominated for their roles) and James Broderick co-star.
On a hot Brooklyn afternoon, two optimistic nobodies set out to rob a bank. Sonny (Al Pacino) is the mastermind, Sal (John Cazale) is the follower, and disaster is the result. Because the cops, crowds, TV cameras and even the pizza man have arrived.
Blu-ray Disc Includes the film and previously released special features:
Commentary by director Sidney Lumet
- Al Pacino extended interview
- Israel Horovitz extended interview
-"The American Way" (1962, producer/director Marvin Starkman, screenwriter Bob Feinberg): A rare, offbeat short film tweaking American institutions and starring a young John Cazale
- "The Box" (1969, director Marvin Starkman): Cazale, who had an interest in photography, is featured behind the camera as director of photography in this early short film
- Vintage Featurette "The Making of Dog Day Afternoon": 4-part documentary exploring the actual events that inspired the movie, casting, filming and aftermath
- "The Story"
- "Casting the Controversy"
- "Recreating the Facts"
- "After the Filming"
- Vintage Featurette "Lumet: Film Maker"
Like the sound of that? To be in with a chance of winning the prize, simply log in to your free Cinemas Online account to reveal the question.
Entrants must reside in the UK or Eire. Closing date September 28th.
Editor's decision is final.
Cinemas Online supply showtimes for every cinema in the UK. To find out what's playing near you and to register for weekly showtimes updates from your local cinema, just enter your postcode: