Universal Pictures is celebrating its 100th year as a Hollywood Studio this year, giving them a well-deserved excuse to look back at former screen glories and poll 1,000 Brits to determine their greatest moments.
The seminal scene in which Elliott cycles past the moonlight in the 1982 classic family film 'E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial' has been named Universal's most memorable movie moment of the past 100 years by UK film fans.
Here's a summary of the poll:
The 10 Most Memorable Universal Moments are:
1. E.T. - Elliott rides E.T. on his bike and takes off into the air past the moonlight - 19.5%
2. Jaws - 'You're gonna need a bigger boat' scene - 10.9%
3. Back To The Future - Lightning strikes the clock tower to power the DeLorean - 7.6%
4. Gladiator - Russell Crowe delivers the 'My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius' speech - 6.7%
5. Mamma Mia The Movie! - Meryl Streep leads the ladies through the island in singing 'Dancing Queen' - 6.4%
6. Spartacus - Mass 'I'm Spartacus' scene - 5.5%
7. American Pie - Jason Biggs experiments with apple pie - 5.3%
8. To Kill A Mockingbird - Gregory Peck's character Atticus Finch delivers a powerful courtroom closing argument - 4.8%
9. Billy Elliot - Billy Elliot dances through the streets - 4.5%
10. Bridget Jones Diary - Hugh Grant and Colin Firth fight scene - 4.1%
The 10 Most Loved Universal characters are:
1. Michael J Fox as Marty McFly in Back To The Future - 9.3%
2. Matt Damon as Jason Bourne in The Bourne Trilogy - 6.7%
3. E.T. the alien in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 6.6%
4. Renée Zellweger as Bridget Jones in Bridget Jones's Diary - 5.8%
5. Simon Pegg as Shaun in Shaun of the Dead - 5.6%
6. Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler in Schindler's List - 5.3%
7. Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi as the Blues Brothers in The Blues Brothers - 4.8%
8. Russell Crowe as General Maximus Decimus Meridius in Gladiator - 4.4%
9. Kirk Douglas as Spartacus in Spartacus - 3.9%
10. Jeff Bridges as Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski in The Big Lebowski - 3.3%
Eddie Cunningham, President, Universal Pictures International Entertainment commented: "Universal Pictures' incredible library of films has produced indelible moments and iconic characters across the past 100 years.
"ET, Bridget Jones, Marty McFly, Jason Bourne and countless other iconic Universal characters are part of the fabric of cinema history and these films will continue to capture audiences' imaginations for years to come.
"It is not surprising that Elliot's bike ride in E.T. ranks as the UK's most memorable Universal moment, but what is so fantastic about timeless films like E.T. is that these characters and stories continue to appeal to new generations.
"This year we are re-releasing E.T. in addition to Jaws, To Kill a Mockingbird and All Quiet on the Western Front on Blu-ray for the first time, so audiences can re-discover these films all over again.
"As part of our 100th Anniversary, we have also restored 10 Universal classic titles in an effort to preserve our cinema history and give audiences a chance to view our films in the highest quality possible."
The studio celebrated its 100th Anniversary on 30th April 2012.
Cinemas Online supply showtimes for every cinema in the UK. To find out what's playing near you and to register for weekly showtimes updates from your local cinema, just enter your postcode:
|1.||Star Trek Into Darkness||£8.43m|
|2.||Iron Man 3||£3.18m|
|3.||21 And Over||£0.58m|